Due to COVID-19, all face-to-face/onsite internships will remain suspended through Fall 2020 Quarter. Remote internships must be approved by the Program Director.
The Professional Interior Architecture Internship course (ARCH X 473) will count as a 2-unit Elective in the Master of Interior Architecture degree program. Elective credits are not required for the Certificate Program. The internship course requires the completion of 136 working hours.
Please review the eligibility requirements and follow the steps below to ensure that you will properly complete an internship through the Architecture + Interior Design Program.
- You must have established Candidacy in the Certificate Program. Master’s students are exempt from this criteria.
- For Certificate students, you must have completed a minimum of 50% of the required 18 courses/82-units. If less than 50% has been completed, you must receive approval from the Program Advisor/Director. UCLA Extension policy pertaining to internships can be found here.
- If you are a Certificate student at UCLA Extension, you must review and adhere to the Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Policy. This includes submitting documentation to the International Student Office at least 2 weeks prior to the start date.
- If you are a Master’s student, you must review and adhere to the Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Policy. You must have completed a minimum of 3 quarters of coursework to be eligible for an internship. You must have CPT authorization before you begin working. Please allow 2 weeks for approvals and processing. See below for steps:
1. Obtain a job offer2. Complete Section 1 of the CPT form
3. Enroll into ARCH X 473 through UNEX – please note that this process can take up to 4-7 business days (steps outlined below)
4. E-mail copies of your job offer, CPT form and enrollment receipt to MIA Graduate Coordinator & MIA International Center Advisor
5. MIA Graduate Coordinator will review and approve
6. MIA International Center Advisor will issue a new I-20 with CPT employer – please note that this process can take up to 3 business days to process
INTERNSHIP COURSE: Professional Interior Architecture Internship (ARCH X 473)
[This process may take up to 4-7 business days]
- Find the Internship course online and select “Enroll” and “Checkout.” Fill in the Internship Information Application/Questionnaire. This will inform our office that you plan on enrolling into the course. You must complete the remaining steps below for full approval.
- Download and fill in the corresponding Internship Agreement Form: Unpaid Internship Agreement Form or Paid Internship Agreement Form.
- Obtain the signature of an authorized agent from the company/firm/employer.
- Return the signed agreement form via e-mail or in-person to: 1010 Westwood Boulevard, Suite 211 or (ARC_ID@unex.ucla.edu). Your internship will receive its final approval by the Arc+ID Program Director and Dean’s Office.
- Once approved, you will need to finalize enrollment into the internship course by paying the course fee. Please do so online or by calling the Enrollment Office at (310)825-9971.
AFTER THE INTERNSHIP
As soon as you have completed your internship, you will need to complete the following:
- Have your supervisor complete the Intern Evaluation Form. Deliver the completed form to WC 211. You will not receive course credit if this form is not completed. Your grade is based on your evaluation.
- Complete the Internship Exit Review and deliver it to WC 211.
Note: If your internship extends beyond the end of the quarter in which you paid the course fee, you may receive a notification indicating that you will receive a grade of Incomplete but do not be alarmed. As soon as your evaluation is received, a grade change will be made and you will not be penalized.
Ready to start your Internship? Continue to the Job + Internship Opportunity Listings to find the right internship for you!