The Internship Process – A Step by Step Guide
If you are planning to start an internship at UCLA Extension (at any quarter) then you will need to follow all of these required steps in order to effectively complete the Internship Program and receive course credit.
STEP 1: CHECK YOUR INTERNSHIP ELIGIBILITY
- You must have already established Candidacy in the Certificate Program. Master’s students do not need to pay the Candidacy Fee.
- You must have already completed at least 50% of the Certificate Program classes. If less than 50% of classes are completed, you must get approval by the Program Advisor to enroll in an internship. Master’s students are exempt from this criteria.
- International student eligibility: If you are an international student looking to pursue an internship, you must review the Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Policy.
STEP 2: REVIEW THE INTERNSHIP PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
- The Internship Program Description will provide you with all of the information you need to know about interning, from beginning to end.
STEP 3: FIND AN INTERNSHIP
- If you don’t already have something lined up, you can view the Job + Internship Opportunity Listings on the Arc+ID website.
- Once a desired internship is found, apply for the internship and then arrange an interview with the firm.
- If necessary, make an appointment with the Program Advisor by calling (310) 794-3747. Bring a resume and a portfolio or examples of your work, if possible.
STEP 4: SUBMIT THE REQUIRED INTERNSHIP AGREEMENT FORM
- Immediately upon starting your internship, you must complete either the Paid Internship Agreement Form or the Unpaid Internship Agreement Form and email, hand deliver or mail the original copy to:
UCLA Extension Architecture + Interior Design Program
1010 Westwood Center, Suite 211
Los Angeles, CA 90024
Nicholas Sitter: email@example.com
***NOTE: If this paperwork is not completed and sent within the first five days of starting the internship, your internship may not be approved and could therefore not count towards course credit. We recommend bringing this paperwork with you on the first day of your internship.
STEP 5: PAY THE INTERNSHIP COURSE FEE
- This should be done as soon as possible. The process for paying the fee is the same as when you register for any other class. Use the registration number that is in the most current catalog. Internships do not have to have the same beginning and ending dates as the quarter in which you enroll.
STEP 6: START YOUR INTERNSHIP
- The Internship course counts as an elective in the Master’s of Interior Architecture Program where the student receives two units of credit after completing 136 hours. There are internships available for students at all levels in our program. Firms are usually flexible and will work around a student’s schedule.
- The beginning and ending dates of your internship do not have to coincide with those of the quarter.
STEP 7: AFTER YOUR INTERNSHIP, SUBMIT THE FINAL REQUIRED INTERNSHIP FORMS
- As soon as you have completed your Internship, see that the Intern Evaluation Form is filled out by your employer and delivered to the Arc+ID office. You will not receive course credit if this form is not completed. Your grade is based on your evaluation.
- You will also need to print and complete the Internship Exit Review and deliver it to the Arc+ID office.
- If your Internship extends beyond the end of the quarter in which you paid the course fee, you may receive a letter indicating that you have received a grade of Incomplete but don’t be concerned. As soon as your evaluation is received, a grade change will be made and you will not be penalized.
If you have any questions about the internship process, please contact us at (310) 794-3747 or firstname.lastname@example.org.