The deadline for the Master of Interior Architecture application for the Winter 2018 Quarter is October 1, 2017.
Application materials that have been submitted for Fall 2017 Quarter term are currently being reviewed.
You may begin submitting your application materials any time between now and the deadline. If you would like to apply to a future quarter, please see the Important Deadlines for Graduate Applicants.
Required Educational Background
Admission to the Master of Interior Architecture degree program requires a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum 3.0 undergraduate GPA and completion of the 82 prerequisite units (Certificate/Foundation Level) or equivalent. Applicants who do not meet these criteria may be admitted on a conditional basis if evidence of compensating qualifications is furnished. The Master of Interior Architecture does not require Graduate Exams, however, you may be asked to provide them in certain circumstances.
A four-year course of study and a Bachelor’s degree is required for admission. An applicant with a three-year Bachelor’s degree who has spent an additional year of study may also qualify, pending approval from Cal Poly Pomona.
We welcome students from varied academic backgrounds, including non-design disciplines. A bachelor’s degree in Interior Design is not required for admission into the Master’s program. Applicants with no previous study in interior design or architecture must complete the Foundation Level prerequisite classes before applying to the Master’s level. The 82 prerequisite units are offered through the Interior Design Certificate curriculum.
Applicants who do have an undergraduate degree in interior design, architecture, or similar design-related field may be eligible to bypass the Foundation Level prerequisites and apply directly to the Master’s level. Before applying to the program, a transcript evaluation by our Program Advisor is required in order to qualify for Advanced Standing. Unofficial transcripts can be used for this review process. Click here to schedule an appointment with the Student Advisor or call (310) 794-3747.
Required Application Materials
If you are applying as an International Student, please refer to the Cal Poly Pomona Admission Requirements for International Students for further instructions. Please note: You will only need to submit those items to Cal Poly Pomona and are not required to send them to UCLA Extension. However, in addition to those items, you are still required to provide the application materials listed below.
1. Completed Online Application — to begin your MIA application, proceed to the CSU Graduate Online Application and choose the appropriate application form. Please note: a printed copy of your application must be included in the documents you send to UCLA Extension.
2. Official Transcripts — transcripts from all college-level schools, including Certificate coursework must be mailed to Cal Poly’s Office of Admissions. All transcripts must be printed originals and sent directly from the college to Cal Poly Pomona. No electronic copies will be accepted. In the rare circumstance that your school is unable to mail transcripts, you will need to set an appointment with Cal Poly’s Office of Admissions to hand-deliver an official copy. For information about ordering official transcripts from UCLA Extension’s Foundation Level Certificate Program, please visit the UCLA Extension website.
3. TOEFL score — regardless of citizenship, if the principal language of instruction for your bachelor’s degree was NOT English, the TOEFL or IELTS is required for admissions. Applicants should have the following minimum scores to be considered eligible: TOEFL 550 (paper based), 213 (computer based), 80 (internet) or IELTS band score of 6.5. You should have your score prior to applying to the program. This score cannot be more than two years old. Official results must be mailed directly to the Office of Admissions and Outreach. You can refer to the Cal Poly Pomona International Student website or call (909)869-5299 for more information.
4. $55 Application Fee — credit card payment option available upon submission of online application. Check or money order payable to CSU Pomona.
Submit/Mail items 1-4 to:
Office of Admissions & Outreach
Cal Poly Pomona
3801 W. Temple Avenue
Pomona, CA 91768
5. Statement of Purpose — explain your interests, motivations, and goals in pursuing a professional degree. The Statement of Purpose should not exceed 750 words. You may choose to include it on your Online Application or submit it separately.
6. Three (3) letters of recommendation — these letters can be from individuals in a position to assess your potential for either the interior design profession or a Master’s level academic program.
7. Portfolio — your portfolio must include visual work illustrating your creative or analytical abilities in written, graphic, or mathematical form. For electronic submission, please upload to the Box account listed below. To submit a physical copy, please mail to UCLA Extension MIA Degree Program. Physical copies should be no larger than 9″x12″ bound; include self-addressed postage if you would like it returned. Portfolios are not required for students who have completed Studio I & II in the Foundation Level.
Mail copies of items 1-3 plus items 5-7 to:
UCLA Extension MIA Degree Program
10995 Le Conte Avenue, Suite 414
Los Angeles, CA 90024-1333*
*90095 is also an acceptable zip code
To help you keep track of the documents you submit, please print the MIA Application Checklist and include a completed copy with your application packet. You can send all of your documents in one package or send each document separately; we will keep an application materials file for you and contact you once all of the required materials are received.
If you are a current MIA student and would like information on registering for classes, course schedule information, help with your Bronco account, and more, please visit Cal Poly Pomona Department of Architecture, College of Environmental Design.