To provide $2,000 to be applied to course registration fees in the Architecture & Interior Design Certificate.
The application for this scholarship is usually available in October. Please see the link above for additional information.
- Must be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens with a green card who are currently enrolled in the Architecture & Interior Design Certificate and have paid the certificate candidacy fee. Eligibility requires that the applicant apply to the Interior Design: Foundation Level certificate.
- At the time of application for this scholarship, students must satisfy all of these conditions: have completed at least 12 units with grades of B or higher in the Architecture & Interior Design Certificate; have a minimum cumulative G.P.A. of 3.0 in the certificate program.
- Must be in good standing at the time of application, and students must follow all regulations as well as all policies of UCLA Extension.
- Must attain a letter grade of “B” or higher in each course to maintain eligibility for the scholarship.
- May not be employed by UCLA or UCLA Extension. UCLA and UCLA Extension employees and their family members or dependents are not eligible to apply.
The James R. Northcutt Scholarship for Beginning Students
Objective for Beginning Students:
To provide $1,000 in tuition credit to one student each quarter who completes the Fundamentals of Interior Architecture course. The award is based upon the caliber of work demonstrated in required class projects.
Selection Process for Beginning Students:
The finalist is chosen by a group of selected instructors. Fundamentals of Interior Architecture is offered three times a year bringing the total amount given in tuition credit to $3,000 per academic year.
Timeline for Beginning Students:
The $1,000 scholarship is awarded three times a year, at the conclusion of Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters.
Howard Hirsch Design Scholarship
To provide $3,000 in tuition credit to one student each year to complete the final 3 quarters (9 classes) of the Master of Interior Architecture degree program. This scholarship is for students who have demonstrated consistent academic achievement.
- Must be a student in the Master of Interior Architecture program.
- Must have completed all classes up to and including Interior Architecture Studio III.
- Must be recommended by your Studio III instructor.
- A single prize of $3,000 in tuition credit will be awarded for the best project.
The James R. Northcutt Scholarship for Advanced Students
Objective for Advanced Students:
A $3,000 award in tuition credit is awarded twice a year to students who have completed Interior Architecture Studio II. The award is based upon the work demonstrated in projects from Interior Architecture Studio II.
Selection Process for Advanced Students:
Instructors of Interior Architecture Studios submit the names of nominees directly to the Interior Design Programs office at the end of each quarter. Only students nominated by their studio instructors are considered. The selection of the final recipient is by portfolio review, conducted by the scholarship committee and invited members of the professional design community.
Timeline for Advanced Students:
The $3,000 scholarship for the advanced student is awarded twice each year, in July after the conclusion of Spring quarter, and in January after the conclusion of Fall quarter.
All scholarships are issued in the form of tuition credit. In the event that a student is unable to utilize all tuition credits earned through one or more scholarship awards, the balance of funds will be returned to the endowment. Tuition credits are not transferable nor will the recipient be given a cash award for the remaining balance.
Various scholarships and prizes for student competitions are also available to candidates in the Interior Design Program from several organizations, such as the Network of Executive Women in Hospitality (NEWH), Designers Lighting Forum (DLF), International Interior Design Association (IIDA), and American Society of Interior Designers (ASID). Information can be found on their websites, but we will occasionally publish scholarship or prize opportunities for students.
List of the most recent scholarship opportunities, design competitions, and related activity on our website:
- Fund Your Future: Scholarships for Hospitality Students
- 2018 ASID LA Student Scholarships – Winnings have increased
- NEWH LA Chapter Scholarships Now Open
- Apply Now for the $5,000 Ingrid Skulstad Williams Scholarship for Women
Federal financial aid is not available but there are a number of alternatives. For information on other educational funding opportunities, call the UCLA Extension Financial Aid Office at (310) 825-4246.