Los Angeles, February 21, 2019 – Swarovski, in partnership with luxury design showroom MASS Beverly, is pleased to invite designers of all disciplines to take part in “The Brilliance of Design” competition. The competition challenges designers to submit a design concept that incorporates Swarovski crystal in a work that applies to one of three categories: Lighting, Home Décor or Architectural Surfaces.
The competition was announced at the launch of ‘The Brilliance of Design’, an expansive showcase through mid-May that explores Swarovski’s lighting, architecture and interiors solutions within MASS Beverly, one of the premiere design destinations in Los Angeles. Curated by design visionary Mary Ta, co-founder of MASS Beverly, ‘The Brilliance of Design’ has Swarovski partnering with the Los Angeles design showroom to put the spotlight on the brand’s Crystal Palace lighting; Swarovski Professional Architecture, Lighting and Interior Solutions; and Atelier Swarovski’s home décor and jewelry collections.
The distinguished jury is looking for imaginative concepts that challenge traditional design approaches and push the boundaries of crystal creativity. Applicants are encouraged to explore Swarovski’s rich design history, as well as its full assortment of crystal colors, effects and materials, to inspire new works. Additionally, Swarovski encourages the use of mixed materials and all designs should celebrate crystal and the art of crystal cutting. When integrating other materials, it is key to consider manufacturing capabilities and limitations for each material.
One winner from each category will see their design concept showcased at MASS Beverly and receive $5,000 crystal sponsorship for future design projects. Winning concepts may also be produced commercially.
In the category of Lighting, applicants are encouraged to push the boundaries of what can be achieved with light and crystal through innovative interpretations of lighting designs. Lighting designs may include: chandelier, surface-mounted light (e.g. sconce), or other creative luminaires.
In the category of Home Décor, applicants are encouraged to innovate home décor designs that serve a functional purpose and are both decorative and giftable. Home décor designs may include: vase, tray, candleholder or other decorative tabletop objects.
In the Architectural Surface category, surface treatments push the boundaries of crystal application within the field of high-end interiors and offer one-of-a-kind crystal applications in terms of quality, diversity and creativity. Innovative architectural surfaces can be applied to walls, tables, room dividers and flooring. These treatments offer designers the opportunity and flexibility to customize designs that juxtapose crystals with myriad materials. Architectural Surface designs may include loose crystal, or a crystal motif pattern or shape integrated into a solid surface. Note that solid surfaces permitted include marble, wood, cement and metal along with carpet.
One winner from each category will be selected by a jury including:
- Nadja Swarovski, Member of the Executive Board, Swarovski Crystal Business
- Mary Ta and Lars Hypko, co-founders, MASS Beverly
- Yves Behar, founder and CEO of Fuseproject and Swarovski collaborator
- Edie Cohen, deputy editor, Interior Design magazine
Deadline to submit entries is April 22, 2019. Winners will be featured in a showcase at MASS Beverly and will have the opportunity to participate in an event at the showroom around the La Cienega Design Quarter’s LEGENDS event in May 2019.
To receive the complete competition brief and official rules, please email:MASSDesignCompetition@Swarovski.com.
Click here to download the complete competition brief.
For additional information, please contact:
Helen Cowdrey Tamar Mashigian
Camron PR Designing PR
+1 917.675.4359 +1 310.276.5001
NOTES TO EDITORS
Swarovski delivers a diverse portfolio of unmatched quality, craftsmanship, and creativity. Founded in 1895 in Austria, the company designs, manufactures and markets high-quality crystals, genuine gemstones and created stones as well as finished products such as jewelry, accessories and lighting. The Swarovski Crystal Business is run by the fifth generation of family members and has a global reach with approximately 3,000 stores in around 170 countries, more than 27,000 employees, and revenue of about 2.7 billion euros in 2017. Together with its sister companies Swarovski Optik (optical devices) and Tyrolit (abrasives), Swarovski Crystal Business forms the Swarovski Group. In 2017, the Group generated revenue of about 3.5 billion euros and employed more than 32,000 people. A responsible relationship with people and the planet has always been an integral part of Swarovski’s heritage, and is embedded today in the company’s well-established sustainability agenda. In addition, the global Swarovski Waterschool education program has reached 500,000 children on the world’s greatest rivers, and the Swarovski Foundation, set up in 2013, works to support culture and creativity, promote human empowerment, and conserve natural resources to achieve positive social impact.
Swarovski Lighting, formally established in 2011, includes two premium consumer lighting brands: Swarovski with its contemporary aesthetic and Schonbek with its classic designs, as well as Custom Lighting Solutions, a team of experienced in-house lighting designers and engineers specializing in custom modification of its two premium crystal lighting brands for luxury living. Together, Swarovski and Schonbek share more than 250 years of crystal and lighting history.
- Atelier Swarovski offers cutting-edge jewelry, accessories and home décor items which are the ultimate expression of Swarovski. Pushing the boundaries of creativity with crystal, created gemstones and genuine gemstones, it collaborates with the finest talents in the world across fashion, jewelry, architecture and design.
- Atelier Swarovski was founded by Nadja Swarovski in 2007 as a showcase for creativity, craftsmanship, master cutting and material innovations. The brand presents seasonal jewelry and accessories collaborations twice a year, alongside its constantly evolving core collections.
- Atelier Swarovski’s home décor collections, launched at Milan Design Week in April 2016, comprise functional and decorative objects for the home.
- With its focus on conscious luxury, Atelier Swarovski introduced its first fine jewelry collections made with Swarovski Created Diamonds in 2017, and was certified as a member of the Responsible Jewellery Council the same year. In 2018, continuing its sustainability journey, Atelier Swarovski announced its partnership with Fairtrade, working with a cooperative mine in Peru to incorporate responsibly sourced gold into all future collections.
- The brand celebrated its first decade with the release of ‘Brilliant: The Story of Atelier Swarovski’, published by Condé Nast, in early 2018.
- Atelier Swarovski’s past collaborators include Jean Paul Gaultier, Viktor&Rolf, Jason Wu, Christopher Kane, Maison Margiela and Mary Katrantzou for jewelry, and Zaha Hadid, Daniel Libeskind and Ron Arad for home décor.
MASS Beverly is the leader in international luxury design showrooms serving a global audience. Representing an exclusive collection of innovative and elevated European brands, the West Hollywood showroom offers a 360-degree approach to design, with a comprehensive selection of couture modern furniture brands. Debuting in 2014, MASS Beverly is the brainchild of design visionary Mary Ta, founder of the Minotti Los Angeles showroom, and Lars Hypko, trained as an architect in Italy and an expert in ultra-high-end residential complete turnkey design and products, who have introduced an unparalleled offering of luxury European products, many of them not available anywhere else in the United States, that would complete an entire home. Among the lines represented at MASS Beverly are:
- Bottega Veneta Home
- Henge organic furnishings
- Rimadesio custom glass and marble closets
- Ernestomeda modern kitchens and baths
- Gandiablasco outdoor furniture
- Via Bizzuno and Porsche high tech architectural lighting
The customized design selections perfectly integrate European sensibility with American lifestyle, combining traditional artisanal methods and high tech design without compromising on the design aesthetic.
Clients of MASS Beverly include world-renowned architects, designers and developers. Led by Lars Hypko and Mary Ta, MASS Beverly has collaborated in the development of marquis residential projects throughout the United States, including homes for Calvin Klein, Robert Downey Jr., and Beyoncé and Jay Z.
For further information, visit massbeverly.com