UCLA Extension

Master Program Admission + Requirements for International Students

International students applying to the Master of Interior Architecture Program will be accepted as graduate students only if they hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution in the United States or Canada or have comparable academic credentials from a foreign country. The Master of Interior Architecture does not require Graduate Exams, however, you may be asked to provide them in certain circumstances.


You are considered an international graduate applicant if you hold or will be holding a U.S. visa as a student, exchange visitor or in another non-immigrant classification.  You must have completed, or will be completing, a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution.

Please continue to Admission Requirements for International Graduate Students for more information.

Ready to apply? Use the following links to submit your application:

Graduate application – if you received your baccalaureate degree from a US institution

Graduate application (out of country) – if you received your baccalaureate degree from outside of the United States

Once your application is submitted, we will send you a notification by email to acknowledge receipt of your application.  Cal Poly Pomona makes admission decisions based on self-reported information from the application and it is important that coursework including grades and test scores are entered accurately and completely.

Admitted students who intend to enroll at Cal Poly Pomona will be required to submit an official transcript in order to verify eligibility and high school graduation. Admission decisions may be withdrawn for students who misreported academic information or who have not met the terms of the admission offer.

Submit Required Tests:

TOEFL scores — A minimum TOEFL score of 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based), or 80 (Internet) is required. TOEFL scores must be sent from the testing agency. We do not accept electronic reporting systems. Please refer to the Cal Poly Pomona International Student website or call (909) 869-2036 for more information.

Submit Transcripts or other Required Documents:

Official transcripts must be sent directly to the Office of Admissions by the supporting document deadline. Other supporting documents required by individual departments might include unofficial transcripts, a copy of the admission application submitted via www.csumentor.edu, results of the GRE or GMAT, resume, statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, portfolios, etc. Such supplemental materials must usually be sent directly to the department requesting them.

Go to the Graduate Programs website to review the departmental websites to confirm which departments require which supplemental documents. All official documents in languages other than English must include a certified English translation.

Pay the admission application fee:

Your application requires a $55 application fee that must be paid by the application deadline.  Failure to pay the application fee will result in your application to Cal Poly Pomona being cancelled.  For more information about fee payment, go to the CSU Mentor website.


  • I-20 Process – document necessary for visa appointment; students will receive email communication from the Cal Poly International Studies office.
  • Success 101 – orientation, document check in,  F-1 regulation (course load, employment benefits, resources, etc.)
  • Curricular Practical Training – the internship authorization eligibility and form can be found here.
  • Optional Practical Training – post graduation work authorization and application process; F-1 students are eligible for 12 months of authorization after they complete their study.
  • Upcoming Events, including all workshops.


MIA Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Policy

The MIA Program is a graduate level program leading to a Master of Interior Architecture degree. It provides students with advanced knowledge and practical skill training in the field of interior architecture. Although the MIA program has been designed to be completed by full-time students in one year, there are flexible scheduling options and evening classes that allow students, who may be transitioning from a previous career, to work while going to school. These individuals typically complete the program at a slower pace. Nevertheless, the program places a high value on Curricular Practical Training and has made it an integrated opportunity within the curriculum. However, not all students are able to take advantage of CPT. This can be due to their need to work full-time while attending classes, or it can be due to the fact that some students do not develop sufficient skill sets until they have completed substantial parts of the program. Because of this variability, the MIA Program has established CPT as a recommended elective course. As such, it fulfills required units for the degree, and is an integral part of the curriculum, even though it may not be appropriate for all students.

Practical training may be authorized to an F-1 student who has been lawfully enrolled on a full time basis, in a Service-approved college, university, conservatory, or seminary for one full academic year (214.2(f)(10). Exceptions are available only if graduate studies require immediate participation in curricular practical training. A request for authorization for curricular practical training must be made to the DSO (214.2(f)(10)(i)).”



For additional answers to your application or admissions questions, please see the International Students FAQ.