We are excited to announce that the International Interior Design Association (IIDA) Southern California Chapter will be offering student awards totaling up to $15,000 in recognition of outstanding student work prepared during their last academic years. This includes the opportunity for one exemplary student to receive the prestigious Stephanie Tarr Award, valued at $5,000.
We invite you to participate in this competition, exclusive to IIDA Student Members, which provides students with great industry exposure and networking opportunities. The top award recipients will also receive a sponsored ticket to the 2014 Calibre Awards cocktail reception, dinner and program at the Century Plaza Hotel in Century City, where they will be celebrated with on-stage award recognition.
Awards are offered to students who are pursuing an undergraduate degree or certificate in the field of Interior Design, Interior Architecture, or Environmental Design at a College or University in Southern California (Master’s Degree candidates are not eligible for this award.) The awards are meant to provide financial assistance to students who have a record of accomplishment in their selected field of study and who show potential to advance the interior design profession.
- Awards are available to students currently enrolled in at minimum their third year in their design curriculum.
- Students must have a minimum 3.0 GPA in their design degree curriculum, verified with accompanying [unofficial] transcripts.
- Students must be IIDA members, or have recently submitted a membership application (on-line membership applications are available at www.iida.org).
Prize money totaling up to $15,000 may be awarded at the judges discretion.
- Winners will receive their award in the form of a check on stage at the IIDA Calibre Awards event on May 9, 2014.
- Winners will be featured in the Calibre Awards event program, and will also be featured on the IIDA Southern California Chapter website & blog following the event.
- Award amounts will be decided by judges based on qualification of submissions. There is no guarantee of a winner(s).
- A prize of honorable mention may be given at judges discretion.
The applications must be filled out using our online system. Use this form as a guide to gather your information ahead of time. Then, fill out the online application form.
Submission Requirements for Online Application:
- Completed Application Form, including the required essay on a separate page.
- Portfolio work sample.
- Proof of IIDA membership.
- Copy of [unofficial] school transcripts (Unsealed transcripts are readily available from the school admissions office or online).
- Letter(s) of Recommendation or Student Recommendation Form (to be completed by interior design professional or educator).
- Applications are to be submitted electronically – hard copy submissions will not be accepted.
- Completed applications must be submitted online by 11pm on February 24, 2014.
- Applications will be reviewed and an email reply will be sent confirming receipt and completeness.
Key Dates & Deadlines:
Written Application and Sample Work Deadline: Monday, February 24, 2014
Verbal Presentation Day: Saturday, March 8, 2014 at Shlemmer Algaze Associates, 18201 Von Karman Ave. Suite 120, Irvine 92612
A sample of project work is required to be submitted along with the written application. The verbal presentation is a review of your selected portfolio materials with a jury of industry professionals. The schedule of the Presentation Day will be confirmed after all applications have been submitted and issued, along with other details, to all eligible candidates. Participation is limited to twelve (12) students, chosen based on content of application and portfolio work sample.
Notification: All candidates will be notified of the results following presentation day via email.
Award Presentation: The 26th Annual IIDA Calibre Awards will be held on May 9, 2014 at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza in Los Angeles.
More information: http://www.iida-socal.org/students/studentawards/